St. James Road Methodist Church is part of the Methodist Church of Britain and exists primarily as a place of Christian Worship. Therefore, the Minister(s) and the Stewards reserve the right to refuse applications (or terminate bookings) from any organisation considered to be undertaking activities which are incompatible with, or has aims considered to be inappropriate for, a place of Christian Worship.
The Property Stewards reserve the right to change the booked room or cancel a booking if the church requires the room for its own purposes. Hirers will be notified at least 14 days in advance beforehand if this is necessary. This would only happen in exceptional circumstances.
Kitchens are available (for a small charge) to use for the preparation of drinks and snacks. Please note: Use of the kitchen(s) may be shared with other users of the premises. Hirers should supply their own tea towel(s). Any crockery, cutlery or other items used should be washed, dried and put away in the appropriate cupboard. An additional charge will be made if hot food is being cooked, and the group’s hygiene certificate will need to be produced for the church.
The Church is equipped with WiFi throughout and those hiring space within the building are welcome to use it. However, this service is provided on a “best endeavours” basis and it is recommended that if internet connectivity is critical to your activity you arrange a suitable backup facility. Your access to the network may be blocked, suspended, or terminated at any time for any reason. By accessing the WiFi you agree not to use the network for any purpose that is unlawful or otherwise prohibited and you are fully responsible for your use.
- The hirer shall take all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety, maintenance and security of all parts of the building and its fixtures and fittings.
- The hirer should ensure that the building is left in a clean and tidy condition with furniture left as it was found. Spills on the carpeted areas must be dealt with immediately. Appropriate cleaning equipment is to be found in the ground floor kitchen and utility room.
- All rubbish generated including disposable nappies, must be bagged and taken away by the hirer. Failure to take away your rubbish may result in a deduction from your deposit.
- No alcohol may be consumed on any part of the indoor or outdoor premises. We cannot offer unopened alcohol in raffle prizes this promotes consumption.
- Smoking is banned in public places in the UK and therefore not permitted in any part of the indoor or outdoor premises. This includes electronic cigarettes.
- Stiletto heels (or other footwear liable to cause marking or damage) are not permitted on any uncarpeted floors, nor any black soled shoes for the purpose of sport.
- Due to fire regulations all entrances and fire exits must be kept clear of obstructions at all times.
- No decorative materials may be placed in any room without prior permission. The use of nails, drawing pins, hooks, adhesive tapes, gummed paper, blu-tack etc., is forbidden.
- As the church is in the middle of a residential area, hirers are requested to keep all noise to a reasonable level.
- Lettings will usually be considered between the hours of 7am and 10pm.
Confirming a Booking
- A deposit of £20 or full payment for the booking will be required to confirm the booking and must be paid within 14 days of the booking being agreed. This deposit will be deducted from the final invoice (subject to the adherence to the terms and conditions). For regular bookings, this is payable once at the time of initially setting up the booking.
- All payments must be made online, by bank transfer or by cheque. No cash payments can be accepted.
- Regular Hirers are normally charged in arrears for bookings in the previous two months. Payment is due on at the end of the charging period. If a customer is consistently late in paying, they will be asked to pay in advance for future bookings.
- Full payment for one-off events is due 14 days in advance of the event where applicable.
- The start and end times booked represent the time the room is available for your use. This includes any set up time, and time necessary to leave the room tidy at the end of the booking.
- Any excess period of use beyond that which has been agreed may also be charged.
The full charge will be due should a hirer cancel a booking within fourteen days of the booking date. In the unlikely event that the Church has to cancel a booking, every attempt will be made to find a suitable alternative date, or a full refund will be given.
Liability for Losses
- The hirer undertakes to indemnify St. James Road Methodist Church for any loss or damage, injury, costs or charges arising out of the hiring. You are strongly advised to obtain your own insurance to cover any such incidents.
- Neither the Minister’s, Stewards or the Church Council can be held responsible for the loss or damage to any equipment or personal possessions brought into or left on the premises.
- All electronic equipment available at SJR has been PAT tested. Hirers should not bring and use their own domestic electrical appliances without prior arrangement. Hirers should ensure that any professional equipment provided by themselves is adequately maintained, safe and suitable for the intended use.
- As there is no caretaker at the church, the Stewards will be happy to help you when necessary. The Steward on duty will normally only be available at the previously agreed time of your arrival and departure from the premises.
- The system works best if everything can be arranged in advance. Last minute changes are not always possible.